Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Let's try this all again, only faster now.

Going on five months now, and still having serious knee pain :( After a first [mis-]diagnosis, I think we have it figure out as IT Band Syndrome. If you have had it, you know how much of a nagging pain it is. For a while, I could ride and swim as much as I wanted with no pain. Then, last Saturday, I had to call home to get picked up 30 minutes into my ride. No good! After further research, I finally have a plan: 1) 1 week with no training, no stretching, no weight training...nothing but ice and ibuprofen; 2) follow a stretching/strengthening program based on one published in Running Times a few years ago. Supposedly, following six weeks of stretching and strength training I can expect a 90% chance of no pain, with little chance of recurrence. We shall see.

In the meantime, I have had the chance to plan my A races for next year. First, after volunteering for the late shift at Ironman Arizona with the TriSports.com team, I slept in a parking lot and showed up the next day for priority registration for 2010. Next, I decided to return to the Vineman 70.3 this year. After a tree incident and surprisingly high temperatures last year, it's time to take another run at my time goal.

Besides those two races, everything is up in the air pending my recovery... Really hoping to be able to start easy cycling and swimming on the first of the year, and hopefully a full training schedule starting in February. We shall see!

No comments: